I can’t tell you how excited I am for the Games in Sochi— the ice-skating events and the ski events are already set on Record. Your students of all ages love the dynamic, sporting fun of the Olympics so you’ve got to bring them in to your classes in the Target Language. Here are some activities and tips. Get some exercise along with our Olympic athletes!
Conversational Activities for Partners, Small Groups, or for a Circulating Activity
1. Expressing Preferences. Do you like . . . bobsledding? Yes, I like . . or No, I don’t like . . . . Add in a few to several Olympic events in the Target Language.
2. Easy, Hard, or Meh . . . Is . . . ice dancing easy? No, it is not easy.
3. What is your favorite Winter Olympic Sport? My favorite is . . . . This is perfect for a student to circulate to several students for an answer, while making a simple tally list. Then as a class you can led a bar graph creation by each sports and how many student-favorites it gets. Go further and put the number in to percentages. Math content here we come!
Nothing helps learners pick up new vocabulary like categorizing the target vocabulary into a few, simple categories.
1. Here I use, snow (la nieve) or ice. (el hielo); outside (al aire libre) and inside (dentro) can also be used. Young learners can categorize pictures of the sports into Category symbols on the floor during circle time. Older students can do this in partners, groups, or as a whole class warm up.
2. Which body parts does the sport use? This is so much fun! Students fill in the blank orally or in writing- ___________ uses the ______ and the _________. Again, younger students can place the sport-images under body part image categories during circle time.
Winter Sport Charades
Now this really gets going strong! Have groups or pairs play charades a variety of ways, but only the Target Language or silence is allowed. Videoing students doing the charades and then immediately viewing them as a class is dynamic and effective for practice.
More ideas are to come: Turn your class this February in to a Target Language Olympic Village- student groups as a country’s team, medal earning processes, simple presentational reports on olympian countries, star olympian athletes.
Winter Olympic Sport Flash Cards and Games for French Learners
French Winter Olympics Preference Interview and Survey
Winter Olympic Sport Flash Cards and Games for Spanish Learners
Spanish Winter Olympics Preference Interview and Survey
Winter Olympic Sport Flash Cards and Games for English Learners
Winter Olympics Preference Interview and Survey for English Learners